District: San Polo
The School of San Giovanni Evangelista is one of the most important and oldest school of Venice and it is situated in the San Polo district near San Giovanni Evangelista Church.
The School of San Giovanni Evangelista complex is the result of a succession of architectural and decorative interventions.
The first building backs to the middle of the XIII; the structure was extended thanks to the importance that the School gained during the centuries.
In the 1369 the prestigious Cross relic was acquired, after the first restoration. During the XIV Pietro Lombardo restored the external part and Mauro Colossi the main staircase, the aristocratic entrance to the Sala Capitolare. The cycle of canvases with the Miracle of the Cross of Vittorio Carpaccio, Gentile Bellini backs to the end of the century and it decorates the Oratory of the Cross. The Tiziano’s painting backs to the middle of the XVI century and it is on the ceiling of the Sala dell’Albergo. These works are not present anymore at the School. The latest important architectural changes in the Chapter House and in the east and west extensions were made by Giorgio Massari in the first half of the eighteenth century.