The triangular-shaped Punta della Dogana separates the Grand Canal and the Giudecca Canal. As a center for contemporary art, the former customs house of the city presents exhibitions of works from the Pinault Collection.
The institution that supported the transition of this masterpiece of architecture, so emblematic for the city, from its eminently commercial function to port of contemporary art and ideal venue to share it with the world
The customs houses, which were located at Castello close to the Arsenal, are divided into Customs of Land and Customs of Sea. The latter is then relocated to Punta della Dogana, at the tip of the island of Dorsoduro, named “Punta del Sale” because of the salt warehouses which were built there.
Beginning of the building works of the Basilica Santa Maria della Salute, to thank the Virgin for having put an end to the epidemic of plague, prevailing the previous year. Works are entrusted to Baldassare Longhena.
The rebuilding works of Punta della Dogana, undertaken by Giuseppe Benoni, begin in 1677. He has the aim of building a tower at the end of the island, surmounted by a statue, carried out by Bernardo Falcone, representing two atlases supporting a gilded globe upon which stands the allegory of Fortuna, that indicates the direction of the wind.
18th – 19th century
Punta della Dogana undergoes various transformations and restoration works, in particular those made by the Austrians who invested the building during the occupation and those of the architect Alvise Pigazzi who renovated the building between 1835 and 1838.
19 July 2006
The City of Venice launches a contest for the creation of a center for contemporary art at Punta della Dogana. Palazzo Grassi, under the direction of Jean-Jacques Aillagon, is a candidate in competition with the Fondazione Solomon R. Guggenheim.
27 April 2007
Palazzo Grassi wins the contest for the creation of a center for contemporary art at Punta della Dogana, entirely renovated by the architect Tadao Ando, which will shelter a selection of works from the François Pinault Foundation.
8 June 2007
Signing of the partnership between the City of Venice and Palazzo Grassi for 33 years. Public presentation of the architectural project by Tadao Ando about the new center for contemporary art at Punta della Dogana.
From 21 January 2008 restoration work (14 months).
6 June 2009
Opening to the public of the exhibition “Mapping the Studio: Artists from the François Pinault Collection” at Punta della Dogana and Palazzo Grassi.